Jun 2, 2008

Tagged: Favorite Music Meme


My book blogger buddy, Karen over at Planet Books has tagged me for the music meme. I’ve never participated in a meme before and this one is perfect for me because, like Karen, I LOVE music. So let’s get started . . .

1. Who is your all time favorite group/singer/musician?

It always goes back to Eric Clapton for me as my all time fave singer, (Second is Elton John – I could listen to him play the piano all day long!) I still love listening to Clapton from way back when he was in Cream. The guitar is my second favorite instrument after the piano and I love to hear him play it. His blues pieces are fabulous. However, on his ‘Pilgrim’ album, released in 1998, he showed an all together different side of his talent and it is my favorite of all. It’s different from anything he’s ever done and it’s mesmerizing. I played it at a pool-side party years ago and I can’t tell you how many people asked what album it was and commented that they were really enjoying it. As far as my favorite group, it is U2. Bono’s voice is amazing! I could listen to him recite the yellow pages and be happy! I saw them in concert in 1983 in Jacksonville and they blew my socks off! That was the ‘War’ tour that took them to the top with ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’. My favorite musician is Chris Botti, a smooth-jazz trumpeter and composer whose music flows effortlessly. He does a version of 'Emmanuel' that is stunning. It’s the first song I ever hear him play and I was hooked.

2. Who was your first favorite group/singer/musician?

I was born in the mid sixties so when Journey hit the scene in the mid to late 70’s I was in my teens and I fell in love with Steve Perry’s voice and Neil Schon’s rifts! As a teenager, I even quit a job to go see them in concert!

3. What’s the most recent addition to your list of favorite albums?

I have eclectic taste when it comes to music, so I enjoy many genres. One artist in particular that comes to mind is Mary J. Blige. I can’t speak for her early releases, but her ‘The Breakthrough’ album is incredible. It has some rap on it, but its not the gansta rap that I don’t care for. The songs are written by her and they tell the story of her rise from rough beginnings to where she is now. Through her music it’s easy to see how she has evolved. ‘The Breakthough’ is always in my cd player.

4. If someone asked you who your favorite groups/singers/musicians were, which ones would be the first to pop out of your mouth?

Ok, first off my tongue is always Clapton, these would follow: Elton John, Journey, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Allman Bros. Band, Stevie Ray Vaghn. I tend to prefer individuals to groups. I’m a southerner and I love my southern rock! Some others I like are: Andrea Bocelli, Josh Groban, Annie Lennox, Alicia Keyes, Santana, Lionel Richie, Nickelback, Martina McBride, Sugarland, Trisha Yearwood – who is severely under-rated IMO, I could go on and on!

That was fun! If anyone would like to participate, feel free! You can leave your answers in a comment or link it to your site. Thanks for the tag, K!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Lisa!! I was reminded of a few great artists by reading your answers. I have ten years of opera training under my belt from high school through college and into my twenties, and when Josh Groban hit the scene (I fell in love with him on Ally McBeal) I said, "Man, I want to sing with HIM!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Opera! I'm impressed! Thats pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa. I'm a little slow responding to your comment on my list 5/22... But that was the one (found this morning) that made me realize finally that I don't have comments set to email me. (And I've been blogging HOW LONG??? - Over 4 years in various places... I KNOW this stuff, believe it or not, heh)

    Anyway, be watching for that review of Three Cups of Tea soon. I've been steadily working through it for the past several days. It isn't a fast read, but definitely fascinating.

    Lucky lucky lucky girl seeing U2 in concert. I was just saying to someone that I'd never seen them and it was truly a regret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keri - don't feel bad, I do stuff like that too! ;-)

    I was really lucky to see U2- I only got to go because someone else couldn't, so I got their ticket! I was in the right place at the right time! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!