There were also some really great movies released this year that were based on books I've read. Though I don't go to the theater, I did manage to see a couple OnDemand and I have a whole list yet to be seen. I'm way behind in watching these movies but I enjoy watching them in the comfort of my own living room. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, THE GIVER and UNBROKEN, which opens Christmas Day.
There were a few big changes in my reading this past year due to the progression of my eye disease. I relied on audio books more than ever this year, but thankfully, I've grown very attached to audios and I'm enjoying them more and more. The other big change in my reading this year is that I don't think I read any actual paper books. The ebook is my best friend and even though I miss the smells and the feel of a real book in my hands, the ebook has been a savior to me. My Kindle is like an appendage to my body. I go nowhere without it. That being said, I do understand why some people loathe the ereader but for people like me, they are a life saver.
I read several non-fiction and health related books this year as well. I also started reading a series by suspense/thriller writer Karin Slaughter this year. The Will Trent series is a spin-off of her Grant County series. The first book, TRIPTYCH, was so intense and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It was a great way to start off a series! I'm now on book three and I'm anxious to continue with it.
I thought I'd put together a few lists to summarize the books I read this year..
TOP 5 BOOKS: (In no particular order)
- THE INVENTION OF WINGS by Sue Monk Kidd
- BIG LITTLE LIES by Liane Moriarty
- LOOKING FOR ME by Beth Hoffman
- THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir
- THE STORIED LIFE OF A.J. FIKRY by Gabrielle Zevin
BOOK(S) THAT UNDERWHELMED ME:
- A FARM DIES ONCE A YEAR by Arlo Crawford (Non-Fiction)
- LABOR DAY by Joyce Maynard (I think I'd enjoy the movie better)
FAVORITE AUDIO BOOK:
- Fiction: THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir
- Non-Fiction: STILL FOOLIN' 'EM by Billy Crystal
MOST POPULAR BLOG POST:
- This really surprised me - the two most visited posts didn't have anything to do with fiction books. I did a review of JJ Smith's 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse and then after I completed the cleanse, I posted my results and those two posts were each visited over 1,800 times! I knew that book was special when I finished reading it and I've seen all the recognition JJ Smith has gotten for her knowledge in healthy eating and I couldn't be happier for her. If you're looking to try a cleanse this year, I would skip all those juice cleanses and try this green smoothie cleanse. Its a smart, healthy way to rid your body of toxins and a proven weight-loss program. I won't lie to you - it was TOUGH! But it did teach me a whole lot and I lost 12 pounds in 10 days. I'm glad so many other people could benefit from my experience.
FAVORITE CATCH PHRASE FROM A BOOK:
- Oh Calamity! - from BIG LITTLE LIES by Liane Moriarty.
This has certainly been a year of great books, even though I didn't get to many that I wanted to and I'm very excited to see what next year brings. More on that next Sunday when I post about goals I have for 2015. Thank you for visiting Southern Girl Reads and Happy Holidays to you all!