Dec 13, 2012

Review: Broken Harbor (Dublin Murder Squad #4) by Tana French (Audio Version)

Tana French is an author I've heard so much about but had never read any of her books. Recently when BROKEN HARBOR was released, I read so many great reviews from my fellow bloggers/book lovers that I couldn't put it off any longer. I chose the audio version instead of the printed version but I'll get into that a bit later. First, here's a bit about the book.

The Book:

This is the fourth book in the Dublin Murder Squad Series featuring Detective Mick "Scorcher" Kennedy. This time around he is partnered up with rookie cop Richie Curran. They are investigating the brutal murder of a seemingly well-to-do family with no apparent ties to anything illegal. But when the investigation turns up financial problems and strange issues regarding their home and the development it was built in, many questions arise. Fortunately, one member of the family survived the attack but instead of helping, only seems to bring more questions to light.

At the same time, Mick is dealing with some personal issues involving his younger sister causing him to be preoccupied, which could be very detrimental to his career if he doesn't get a handle on it. He and his new partner seem to be getting on well and he has high hopes that it will turn into a professional relationship he can come to count on. An arrest is made pretty quickly, but Richie begins testing Mick as to if they have the right person in custody.

To make matters worse, the town of Broken Harbor, outside of Dublin, where the murders occurred has a deep significance to Mick and his family which adds even more stress as all eyes are on him to solve this horrific case.

My Thoughts:

Even though I hadn't read any of the previous books in this series, I didn't hesitate to pick this one up, especially after reading so many other reviews.  Although I'm sure there is a lot to learn about this character's past in those books, I feel confident that It didn't take away from this story. That said, I would like to go back and read the first three books.

I found the story intriguing and I liked Mick right away. He has a kind of underdog feel to him. Having not read the previous books, I got the feeling that he had a lot of people against him, therefore, I felt he had something to prove. That made me root for him all the more. I did like his connection to his new rookie partner and I had high hopes that would turn out. As far as story goes, it did have some twists and turns with several different possible outcomes. I liked that it wasn't predictable.

The secondary theme in this book involved Mick's family and a tragedy that happened many years before in Broken Harbor, the same location as the murders. This factor gave the story a complexity and I felt it blended with the story nicely. That said, I did find myself getting annoyed with the character of Dinah, Mick's emotionally troubled younger sister. That brings me to the narration of the audiobook.

I did enjoy the audio version, however, the character of Dinah really got on my nerves. I didn't care for her voice at all and was happy when her scenes were done. I know it must be difficult for men to do women's voices, but I felt this interpretation was too high-pitched and whiny and I just didn't care for it at all. I think that if I had read the paper version my feelings for this character may have been totally different.  That being said, I was entertained by the story and I probably would read more from this series, though I doubt I'll choose the audio version next time. Although I did enjoy the book, I have to be honest and say that I didn't love it but I am glad I took the time to read this author.

BROKEN HARBOR (Dublin Murder Squad #4) Audible Audio Edition
Author: Tana French
Narrator: Stephan Hogan
Publisher: Recorded Books
Published: July 2012
Length: 19 Hrs 59 Min
Source: Purchased

1 comment:

  1. I read this one and loved it. I didn't really care for his sister that much either, and I can certainly understand how a whiny narrator could spoil the audio!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!