Jan 18, 2015

The Sunday Salon: Getting Back in the Groove

Welcome to the Sunday Salon, a great place to talk about books, or other stuff going on in your life. Today, I'm talking about books. I'd mentioned in a previous post that I've been having a bit of trouble getting going with my reading lately. Lots of books I want to read, just having trouble actually starting them.  But this week, I think I finally crossed over that ditch in the road. not only did I start a new book that I'm halfway through already, but I even posted a review last week! Progress!

Monday I received an email offering an ARC of a debut novel that was coming out the very next day. I really enjoy debut authors and this is not a long book so figured it would be a great choice to get me jump-started. The book is LILLIAN ON LIFE and it's written by Alison Jean Lester. Its not exactly a novel, but more like a collection of compressed chapters revealing the life of Lillian, an older woman who is reflecting back on her unconventional, sometimes wild life, which she has lived both abroad and here in America. Its a very easy to read book that, so far, I'm enjoying. Lillian is brutally honest with a wry sense of humor, which gives me the feeling that I'm sneaking a peek into someone's private journal. I find it to be an interesting read and one that will probably get a lot of attention. It was released just this last Tuesday. In fact, it is featured today in the Washington Post. I'll be finishing it up either later today, or if the football playoffs are good, maybe tomorrow, and I'll post my thoughts later in the week. (I'm on a roll!)



The review I posted last week was THE SILENT SISTER by Diane Chamberlain, who is becoming an author I really like. This novel is about a young woman who returns to her family home in North Carolina to settle her father's estate after his death and while there uncovers evidence that he had been harboring secrets about their family for years. Also that the sister she, and everyone else, thought had committed suicide twenty years ago was probably alive and living under an assumed name.  If you like, you can read my complete review of the unabridged audio version here.

There's a new book I ran across this week over at Beth Fish Reads (click the link to read her review) that has really intrigued me. It called DESCENT by Tim Johnston. Its a mystery/thriller and I think its going to be an 'it' book this year. That's just what I gather from all the hoopla I've been hearing. I plan to read it next month if all goes according to plan.



Well,that's it for me today so now I'm off to make a hot pot of Mexican chili since we've got another cold front coming in later today. Yes, we do have real cold fronts in Central Florida! Later, I'll be reading some more of Lillian and watching the games. Have yourself a wonderful Sunday and thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

  1. Oh yay! I hope you love Descent as much as I did ... whenever you get a chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does Mexican chili differ from regular chili?

    Descent. Someone mentioned that book to me recently and I knew nothing about it except that it's pretty hyped up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so curious about 'Lillian'. I'll watch for your review. Glad you're back in the swing of reading, Lisa. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of "Lillian on Life" before and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with either of these. I'll look forward to your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know about new, good thrillers! Enjoy it!

    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  7. Descent was a wonderful book! I read it a few weeks ago and the characters are still with me. I had a hard time deciding what to read after finishing it, I guess I did not want to let go of the story. Loved it!
    Argie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!