I have been a fan of The Long Island Medium for several years now, though at first I was a bit of a skeptic. It didn't take me long, however, to become a believer in Theresa Caputo's amazing gift. As a person trying to focus more on the positive things in life, I was more open to Theresa's experiences partly because she also focuses on the positive affects her gift can bring and she doesn't even entertain any of the negative spirits that may try to come through. Her genuine personality and big heart are more reasons I felt drawn to her. I realize that accepting the experiences of mediumship is not for everyone but if you have an open mind you may just surprise yourself, as I did.
Here are some highlights of the book that stood out to me:
- She begins the book by explaining how she became aware at a very young age that she had abilities that most people don't have. She had extreme phobias that she didn't understand until she overcame her fears and was able to open up herself to the possibility that she had a gift. It took her some time to get to that point and she did it with the love and support of her (very large) Italian family.
- Theresa explains how she began learning and accepting the help from what she later learned were angels, guides and souls that were trying to communicate with her.
- Throughout the book, she brings up some of the different experiences she's had while giving readings to people who have reached out to her. Her only hope is to be able to give those people some peace of mind. I love hearing these stories.
- She talks about faith and fear. As a practicing Catholic, Theresa is a very spiritual person, and she explains why she feels she doesn't need to chose between her gift and her religion. She doesn't preach this point, she simply explains where her gift fits in with her faith. Personally, I was always fearful of death and at one time even dwelled on it to the point that it started negatively affecting my life. Now that I am a more spiritual person, I no longer have those fears and I became more open to the possibilty of connecting with the other side. Later in the book, Theresa explains though, that sometimes what she learns from Spirit conflicts with her Catholic upbringing. She also touches on meditation and prayer and how it aids in her gift.
- One of my favorite parts of the book was when Theresa briefly wrote about pets that have passed on coming through to her. As a lover of all animals, this made my heart smile because it shows that pets have souls too. She did say that because animals have simpler brains, they are much easier for her to receive messages from.
- The most intriguing part of the book, for me, was when she wrote about Regression and past life experiences. She doesn't spend a lot of time on this subject but it was very interesting to me.
- My favorite chapter of all was Chapter 8 when she wrote about positive attitudes. Because I am trying to have more positivity in my life, I really enjoyed this section.
Soon after the book came out, I bought two copies, one in print for my friend, and the audio version for myself. For me, the audio version was more convenient, but I will say, in all honesty, that Theresa is not the best narrator. That said, I am still happy with my decision to listen to this most interesting book.
THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN THIS (Unabridged Audio Version)
Author: Theresa Caputo
Narrated by: Theresa Caputo
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Published: October 2013
Length: 7 hrs 40 mins
Recommend: Most definitely!