Jan 5, 2014

The Sunday Salon: New Year, New Goals

Now that the holidays are over, I'm anxious to get started on this new year of ours. I'm being optimistic that 2014 is going to be a positive year for me. Of course, I hope for this each year, but, as you know, life has a way of making minced meat out of our plans. I thought I would use this post to outline some of the changes I've decided to implement in my life, both book related and not. 

The most important thing I want to have in my life this year is the positivity and I've made the decision to eliminate sources of negativity that can create so much upheaval and unhappiness. I may not be able to completely remove the source from my life, but I can control how I react to it. Last year had a lot of difficulty related to this and I don't want this for 2014. 

One of the ways I plan to keep positive is to get back to a daily devotional. One of the ways I plan to do this is to do something I intended to do about 5 years ago. I will be reading The One Year Bible. This is a great way to break down the Bible, that can be very confusing and enable you to read it in one year's time. I will also be spending more time praying and having quiet time for myself just to sit and reflect. I have all the time in the world, so this should not be a problem for me at all. Frankly, I'm looking forward to this new plan. I think we all need to spend some time with ourselves to 'check in' and make sure we are on the best path for ourselves. 

The second change I've made for this new year is to resign from the She Reads Book Club. I began my involvement with them in January of 2013 and it has been a worthy experience. However, as my eye disease progressed last year, I found myself pushing aside books I own and really want to read.to make room for the book club picks. Don't get me wrong, most of them were terrific books that I'm glad I read but others...not so much. I would much rather spend the time I have left ro read real books with the ones I choose to read. Thanks to the Kindle Daily Deals, I have acquired some really great reads that I am dying to start reading! I will continue to follow all the great bloggers in the She Reads network and promote those authors as well. 

I read 40 books last year, even though I haven't posted two of the reviews yet. i am very happy with that number, which is up from 30-something the previous year. I listened to more audio books in 2013 and found I enjoy them more and more. I plan to listen to at least twelve this year. I get so much housework done while listening, so that's a perk! 

Since I will be able to focus on books in my TBR pile this year, I'm really looking forward to reading more crime fiction.  I want to continue with the Louise Penny crime series and I also want to read Karin Slaughter's  Will Trent Series. There's also a few new-to-me authors I want to read. Wiley Cash is at the top of the list, as is Wally Lamb. A few of the books at the top of my TBR pile are AND THE MOUTAINS ECHOED, THE GOLDFINCH. and LOST LAKE by Sarah Addison Allen. I could go on and on, as I'm sure you know. There are so many wonderful books out there and I wish I could just sit and do nothing but read all the time, but we all know that isn't possible  

Along with my reading and spiritual goals, I'm also taking control of my body this year by eating healthy foods and avoiding the quick fixes that push all those diet ads we see all teh time. I just downloaded the Kindle version of Nina Planck's REAL FOOD and I hope to learn a lot from it. It promises to be very interesting. Two years ago, I lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers by changing my eating habits and learning about food. But in the last year, I've put on a lot of that weight. I took it off before and I will be doing it again this year. I'll be using a few different techniques and I'll be sharing them here on the blog on Saturdays, like I did when I was on WW. I hope you'll follow my progress and if I can encourage anyone else to get healthy by eating right, all the better! 

So there it is. Those are the goals I've set for myself this year. I'm really looking forward to a fresh start and good things. If you'd like to see the list of books I read in 2013, just click the tab at the top of this page. Click on any title to ready my thoughts. Here's wishing everyone a happy, healthy and productive new year! 
 

6 comments:

  1. Great goals for the New Year! I love a fresh new start and all the energy I get from other people making their fresh new starts, too.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be focusing on reading the bible this year as well. I have never read the entire book. It's a little too overwhelming to me but I like your idea. Sounds doable.

    This year my focus is peace. I had a stressful end of the year which took at least 5 years off my life. I don't want a repeat of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I resigned from She Reads last year. I love the concept but I didn't love a lot of the picks. Reading for a deadline is tough.

    I love audiobooks and listen to them more and more these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also resigned from She Reads this year--my feelings about it are pretty much the same as yours and Kathy's. Good luck with your 2014 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since everyone is talking about resigning from She Reads in the comments, I just thought I'd say I didn't resign. ;) But seriously, I hear you and agree with you on the positivity front. I worked on that some last year and am continuing to work on that this year. On the food "front," my wife and I have made some changes within the last year that have helped us: going wheat-free (and her, sugar-free). I hope to continue on that too so know what you mean there. I'm sorry to hear about your eye disease and hope that your eye is getting better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a great year ahead of you with some wonderful goals! I definitely understand about book club obligations, and I have a TBR pile growing because I need to read the club pick first! But it's always nice to chat about what you're reading with others. I hope your eye problems will get better!

    P.S. I like the idea of the One Year Bible. A friend and I had started to read from an outline, but always got side tracked. Good luck!

    Have a great week!
    Suzanne (Chick with Books)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!