Jun 28, 2016

Review: We're All Damaged by Matthew Norman

No Spoilers Included!

Ever since I read DOMESTIC VIOLETS in 2011 I have been anxiously awaiting Norman's second book. I loved that debut novel and wondered what he would produce next. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed but when WE'RE ALL DAMAGED showed up on my Kindle Firsts promo, I snatched up my copy in a heartbeat!

What It's About:

This is a story about a guy who thought he had it all. A good job, a beautiful wife and a plan for their future together that would, one day, include a family of their own. Unfortunately for Andy Carter, his wife Karen had different plans. She blew his life apart when she told him she 'didn't want this anymore'. Now, it's a year later and Andy's life is so different he sometimes doesn't even recognize himself.  He lost his job, destroyed his best friend's wedding reception, along with that friendship, and left his Iowa hometown for New York City where he knew absolutely no one. He's working as a bartender for the only friend he has in The City when he gets a call to come home immediately. His grandfather is dying and his mother is demanding he come before that happens.

In the last year while Andy was sulking in The Big Apple, things in his old life have changed dramatically. Andy stumbles along trying to absorb the changes, not to mention the impending death of his grandpa. And then there's Daisy, the tatted up, strange woman he meets at the nursing home who says she's a friend of his grandfather...but can that really be?? Though Andy didn't think he was ready to go home yet, this is a trip he had to make. Back home, he'll see people he's known his whole life in different ways and meet new people who will change how he looks at himself.

My Thoughts:

There have been times when I've read a debut novel and loved it, only to discover the next novel by the same author fell flat.  Well, for me, that is certainly NOT the case with WE'RE ALL DAMAGED. This book was such a refreshing reading experience for me. The opening chapters, especially, were laugh out loud funny. I absolutely loved the snarky wit and characters that came alive within the pages. The Glitter Mafia which brought a very relevant social issue into the story was genius as was the battle his father had with the squirrels. He painted such a vivid picture in my mind that I couldn't quit laughing. I'll never look at a squirrel the same way again. Nancy, Andy's far right Republican mother was another brilliant character, though my views are very different from hers. All of the characters seemed so realistic to me and I enjoyed them all.

I've told you how funny this story is but it's not just funny. It's sweet, it's heartbreaking, sad, hopeful and lovely. It's about family, marriage, regret, forgiveness and awareness and compassion. As I'm sitting here thinking about the book, it reminds me again of how much I loved it. The sweetness of the story took me by surprise, especially when it brought me to tears.

WE'RE ALL DAMAGED is about a regular family in Iowa with problems that are not all that different  from other families'.  It's not a complex story but Matthew Norman, with his unique take on people, along with his incredible sense of humor makes it something very special. At 282 pages and as readable as it is, it's the perfect weekend read.  I imagine it would make for a great audiobook as well and would be perfect for a road trip this summer.  If you read and loved DOMESTIC VIOLETS, you certainly don't want to put off reading WE'RE ALL DAMAGED any longer.

WE'RE ALL DAMAGED 
Author: Matthew Norman
Publisher: Little A
Published: June 1, 2016
Length: 282 pages
Source: Amazon Kindle Firsts


4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see this is good because I loved Domestic Violets too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this up as a Kindle First and hope to make time to read it soon. Glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I loved the funny parts, it was the sweetness of the grandpa's part that sealed it for me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Mary. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!