Feb 22, 2013

Friday Finds: Denial and Crime Fiction

Friday Finds is a great way to share books you've discovered this week whether it be by cruising the blogs, magazines or a book shop. I discovered my Finds while visiting blogs this week. The books couldn't be any more different from each other but they both stood out to me. Here's what I found:

THE GOOD HOUSE by Ann Leary



I saw this book first on Book Fan's blog where she reviewed the audio version on Tuesday.You can read her review here. One of the other reviews that stood out for me was over at Book Mama's blog. You can read her review here. The reason this book has captured my attention is the main character, Hildy Good, a successful real estate broker battling alcoholism. She really stood out to me because of her realness and the believability of her story. I was so taken by this book's description and by Mary's review of the audio that I used one of my monthly credits at Audible.com and purchased it for myself.

BLOOD MONEY by Doug Richardson



I discovered this author/book while visiting Fiction Books' blog yesterday. I also visited Doug Richardson's website and was surprised to see how many books he's published. I am always looking for new crime fiction reads but many times when I read the synopsis I am turned off by over-complicated and confusing storylines and excessive characters. But in her blog post, Yvonne laid the story out beautifully and also included a bit about the Mr. Richardson's impressive career as a screenwriter. Honestly, I don't know how I've missed this author! I'm very anxious to get my hands on BLOOD MONEY, his new release set to come out in the Spring. This story is centers around a small town sheriffs detective's quest to track down the ex-Marine who shot down and killed his brother. This suspect has left a trail of death from Nevada to Los Angeles and the detective looks for help in the form of an LAPD detective who is not thrilled to have to 'babysit' the small town cop. It sounds thrilling and I am very much looking forward to diving in. One last thing I like about this book is the cover. I think it's a great cover that gives just enough hints to what's inside.

There are more Friday Finds over at Should Be Reading, so stop over there and see what other book lovers have discovered this week.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so excited because I just won The Good House!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy listening to The Good House as much as I did, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also joined in on Friday Finds. http://werejumpinbooks.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/friday-finds/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Good House was added to my wish list this week, too! I like this feature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,

    Thank you so much for the lovely mention in your post this week, I really appreciate it.

    I am so glad that people are getting the word out there about Doug's new book. He has a unique way with plot building and story telling, which makes him a great new find for me and I hope that others will get to enjoy his writing too!

    I also like the sound of the Ann Leary book as well, even though she is a new author to me. I checked her out (I find that fantasticfiction.co.uk) is an excellent site for this) and was also drawn to her previous novel, 'Outtakes From A Marriage' and not just because of the funky cover art! It seems as though 'The Good House' has been read and enjoyed by your previous commenters, so that is good enough reason for me to add it to my reading list.

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend. It is dull and bitterly cold here in the South of the UK, although thankfully dry!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Good House looks good.

    ENJOY!!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am your 100th follower. :)

    I also am following by e-mail and TWITTER.

    Nice blog.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOPS...I guess I am not a TWITTER follower. The link didn't work.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary's review had me buying this one on audible.com right away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just loved The Good House. Look forward to more by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am looking forward to reading The Good House one of these days. It sounds like it will be very good. I hadn't heard of Richardson's book, but I will definitely look that one up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!