Feb 10, 2013

The Sunday Salon: Bookish Priorities

Happy Sunday everyone! I haven't posted a Sunday Salon post in so long and I thought it was time. Speaking of time, I just don't know it all goes! February is already bearing down on us, even though down here in Florida its been feeling more like Spring time. The weather has been crazy - highs in the 70's and 80's, then it will drop down into the 40's at night again. I'm so glad I got my flu shot a few months ago or I'd be in trouble. One day I'm in a t-shirt and flip-flops and then it goes back to jeans and sweater weather! My azalea bushes already bloomed at the end of January, which is just nuts! So when Spring actually gets here, I won't have any blooms at all because they're already gone!

On thereading front, I've read some really great books lately. In January I became a member of the She Reads Book Club and so far the book selections have been fantastic. I'm actually reading BLACKBERRY WINTER by Sarah Jio right now that was one of they're selections last year. I'm late to the party, but I'm really enjoying it. Our February selection is CALLING ME HOME by Julie Kibler. It was an emotional and heartbreaking story that really grabbed my attention right away. If you'd like to read my review, you can find it here. Our March selection is THE SILENCE OF BONAVENTURE ARROW by Rita Leganski. I plan to start it today and I'm very excited about it.

I've decided that this year I'm focusing more on books that I've had in my library that I've never gotten around to reading, more than accepting review copies. I'm not saying I won't do any ARC's but I have some really great books that need to be read. For example, I've had THE BOOK THIEF starring up at me from my coffee table for so long and I feel guilty every time I pass it up. I've also wanted to read SHADOW OF THE WIND for two years, when I got the book! The other day I finally started reading ANNA KARENINA. I'll be reading that in between other books, so that will be a slow mover.  I'm planning to read a chapter or two each night before bed, the way I did with JANE EYRE. There are others too, like THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN and THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE. These are all books that I OWN! No more excuses, I have to read these books!

All that being said, Beth Hoffman just emailed me and asked if I'd be interested in reading her new book coming out in May, LOOKING FOR ME!. And of course, I said YES!!! Thanks Beth, you just made my day! Now you see why some of the books on my shelves get pushed to the side! Let's face it, its a good problem to have!

Aside from reading, there are also my television shows I like that take up my time. All I can say is: Thank God For My DVR and OnDemand! Every year I say I'm not going to get involved in anymore series, but every year I do! A few of the new shows I like are NASHVILLE and CHICAGO FIRE. Then there are my older favorites: TOP CHEF, SUITS, DOWNTON ABBEY, THE GOOD WIFE and of course SURVIVOR, which starts up again this week! One new show that just started a few weeks ago is THE FOLLOWING with Kevin Bacon. That is one crazy, twisted show! And I LOVE it!! Wow, I never realized how much of a TV watcher I was until I started naming all of my shows! So you see, it's a miracle I get any reading done at all!

I've had to cut back on my audio books for now because my iPod is so old, many of the newer releases aren't compatible with it anymore. (Thanks to the iBook format). Or so I'm told.  I'm not the most tech savvy person when it comes to my iPod so I could be wrong about that, but I simply don't want to waste anymore time messing around with it. Hopefully a new iPod will cure the problem.

Well, that is what is going on with me. What books are you looking forward to in the months to come? And, does television get in your way too or are you able to walk away from it? I hope everyone has a great Sunday and to my friends up in the New England area: I'm thinking of you and praying that you all stay safe and warm! The weather up there looks absolutely frightening! I haven't lived up north for 30 years, but looking at the news reports brings it all back in a rush!

So, I'm haaving dinner at my friend, Brenda's house, so I need to get moving and get some things done first. Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you'll come back soon! Happy Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman and The Best of Us by Sarah Pekkanen.

    TV doesn't get in the way of my reading, but plenty of other things do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of us are in that boat of not willing to accept too many review copies as we want to read from our own libraries as well. I have to kick myself every time I accept another review book. But I did join the TBR Challenge this year where you have to read your own books that have been sitting on your shelves for over a year, and that's the only challenge I'm doing this year.
    I also wanted to let you know there is a sporadic link up site for Sunday posts in case you are interested, since TSS is technically closed. Here is the link for her post today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have some great ones sitting on your shelves!! As for the iPod that could be a real issue but did you ask an Apple person in person??? Do you put them on via the computer from discs??? I use audible.com because I was tired of ripping the audio books and then find that there was a scratch on their disc! I have so many just from audible that it could take me a few years to listen to them!! I don't feel bad about the 15.00 monthly fee either! Have a great week of reading and I envy your weather be it flip flops or sweaters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the books from your "library" are great reads! Please read them!

    I really try to limit the tv shows I watch, cause then I read less. I do love Downton Abbey too.

    I have so many lists of books I want to read and am excited to hear Beth Hoffman has a new book out. It will be hard for her to live up to peoples expectations since Saving Cee Cee was such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie,

    Thank you sooo much for the link! That TBR Challenge sounds really great. I shouldn've signed up for that one! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!