Jan 8, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: The Best


It’s a week or two later than you’d expect, and it may be almost a trite question, but … what were your favorite books from 2008?
(It’s an oldie but a goodie question for a reason, after all … because, who can’t use good book suggestions from time to time?)





For me, three books come to mind when I consider my favorite books read in 2008. All three of these books were new in 2008. Here's my three favorite books of the year:

Two of them are first-time novelists, which is a great compliment. Coincidentally, those same two are both published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill. They have a wonderful Southern Fiction department, which is a favorite of mine. Of the three books, if I had to choose my top pick, it would be Jayne Pupek's TOMATO GIRL. Although the subject matter was difficult and at times the story was utterly heartbreaking, that book made a huge impact on me. It made me cry, it made me angry, yet it gave me hope. I will always remember Ellie's story.
If you'd like to read my reviews of these book, click on the title above. What were your favorites of 2008?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of any of these books but I laughed outloud when I saw the title - Tomato Girl. My next thought was it probably wasn't a funny book. Sure enough, you indicated it wasn't. All the same, the title is interesting!

    Thanks for sharing and happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enzo is love at first sight! I love The Art of Racing in the Rain, so heart-warming and yet so observant.

    I have posted my selections for 2008 on New Year's Eve.

    Best New Fiction 2008

    The Future of Love, Shirley Abbott
    Letter from Point Clear, Dennis McFarland
    Finding Nouf, Zoë Ferraris
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
    The Art of Racing in the Rain, Garth Stein

    Best Backlist Fiction

    The Birds Fall Down, Rebecca West
    The Uncommon Reader, Alan Bennett
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, Marina Lewycka
    The Dreyfus Affair, Peter Lefcourt
    Kansas in August, Patrick Gale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Tomato Girl, too. I really want to read The Art of Racing in the Rain because I love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Tomato Girl as well. I still have to read Mudbound.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!