Feb 25, 2009

These Books Were Made For Walking #2

Strumpet's Life is the host for this fun monthly meme about books and travel. Every third Wednesday of the month, she'll pose a question for the meme. There's no pressure to post on that day, as long as it's in the current month, so play along!



This month's question is:

Is there a place that you have always dreamed of visiting specifically because of a book you read? It can be any kind of book: fiction, non-fiction, travelogue, you name it. If you have been to the place, did it live up to your expectations? If you haven't been, do you think you'll ever make it there?

Years ago I read a book by Jimmy Buffett called WHERE IS JOE MERCHANT? It was such a fun book with a crazy story and much of the book took place in the Carribean. I enjoyed that book so much and the whole time I read it I wished I could just run off to the islands, live in a grass hut on the beach and eat great seafood for the rest of my life! OK, not to realistic, but that book just made you want to be there. I did, finally get the chance to go to the Carribean on a cruise ship and although I didn't have all the adventures the book had, I had a wonderful time with my sister. It was just as beautiful as I imagined it would be.

More recently though, I read THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY taking place on the Island of Guernsey in the English Channel. I was drawn to the locale, even getting out maps and looking up all the places close to it and looking up pictures on the internet. I learned so much about the area both through the book and online. Guernsey is this teeny, tiny little island paradise. I'll probably never get to visit there, but I'd sure love to.

Is there any special place you'd like to visit because of a book you've read?

3 comments:

  1. I just read the Guernsey Island book too, and I absolutely loved it!

    I don't think I could visit for long though. I don't think English Channel weather would be for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be just awesome to hop right into those books! I've wanted to go to Africa since reading the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the two places you chose. Guernsey appeals to me too, not because I've read the book, but because they have such great knitting patterns there. This is a nice meme that I will have to check out. Thanks for tipping me off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!