Jun 11, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: What's Your Niche?


There are certain types of books that I more or less assume all readers read. (Novels, for example.) But then there are books that only YOU read. Instructional manuals for fly-fishing. How-to books for spinning yarn. How to cook the perfect soufflé. Rebuilding car engines in three easy steps. Dog training for dummies. Rewiring your house without electrocuting yourself. Tips on how to build a NASCAR course in your backyard. Stuff like that.
What niche books do YOU read?

My response:

Even though I do spend most of my time reading novels, I do read an occasional non-fiction book. Usually a memoir but I don't consider that my niche reading. My niche reading used to consist mainly of cookbooks and cooking magazines since I LOVE to cook new stuff all the time. I constantly scour for new dishes. But over the last several years, my niche has changed to include anything I can get my hands on about alternative medicines. Mainly herbal remedies including all of the varieties of herbal teas.

My interest in herbal remedies started after I was diagnosed with my retinal disease. (almost 20 years ago). After being told by numerous doctors that nothing could be done, I wasn't about to just go home and sit and wait for my eyesight to leave me. I started researching vitamin supplements and foods that are anti-oxidant rich and contain other natural vitamins. I've always been a tea drinker and I soon discovered its healthful benefits as well. This was way before drinking green tea was fashionble.

The only difference is that now with the internet, I don't read many books, per se, on the subject. I do most of my reading online. I still keep a paper file with information and newsletters I receive from different foundations, but mostly everything is kept in files on my computer now. That being said, I own three books that are my herbal bibles; Two volumes of Alternative Medicine A to Z and a book on green teas and how to properly prepare them.

So that's my niche reading, what about you? Is there a particular kind of book that you have a passion for? For more answers to this BTT question, click here.

**As a side note, I have to assume that my consumption of these herbal remedies has helped me because my sister has the same disease and chose NOT to take herbal remedies and her disease has progressed much quicker than mine. Even though I will not get a doctor to admit it, I know in my heart this has helped me to sustain my vision and slow the progression of my disease.

11 comments:

  1. I am sure that you are right as it has helped me tremendously with my fibromyalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose the internet probably plays a big part in the "niche" reading of most of us these days. It makes it so easy to sample different topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am tea drinker. I can vouch that my skin is great because of drinking tea. I swear by it!

    Booking through niche

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbal remedies - that's a good one! Here are mine: (1) and (2)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for digging in deeper and not settling for pat answers. I have a couple of books that I reference when needed that gives herbal and other alternative information to health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use herbal teas to keep my plants healthy! I don't really care for tea myself, except for jasmine tea but I only get that at certain asian restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great answer to a tough question. I can't think of any 'niche' reading I do myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm a green tea drinker too, I drink at least 2 cups per day :)
    I dont remember why I started drinking it, it might have been because I was looking into herbs and thier benefits.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I need to start drinking it myself...I'm glad that you've found something that has helped slow the progression of this disease. I'm not sure what my niche would be...I did read a lot of scrapbook books in the past, memoirs too...I'm all over the place!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know several people who swear by the effects of their herbal/homeopathic remedies and "maintenance" regimens. Glad to know you're having success with your protocol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!