Jun 21, 2009

The Sunday Salon: First Day of Summer


First, I'd like to say Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers out there, but most especially to my own father, Lou. I've been blessed to have a father who, although he's faced health problems, at 74 is still able to do most things he enjoys, like cooking, fishing and making beautiful things in his wood-working shop. My father is also the family historian and keeper of family photographs. He and I have talked about working together on a genealogy project and since I'm not working anymore, I think the time is right to start. I'm looking forward to that very much. So, Happy Father's Day Dad!

Since the weather down here in Florida is downright sweltering these days, I'm not doing too much out doors. With the humidity, the heat index is nearly to 110 degrees! So I'll be staying inside today with a book and keeping an eye of the U.S. Open.

The book I'm reading today is the latest from Mary Kay Andrews titled THE FIXER UPPER. It's a stand alone novel about a young woman, working as a lobbyist in D.C. but after her boss is accused of many terrible things by the FBI he pretty much throws her under the bus. She needs to figure out what to do with her life, so she goes to a small town in Georgia, where her father lived as a boy and has inherited the old historic family home. Her plan is to go down there for a month or so, fix up the place and flip it and figure out her next move, professionally.

As with all of Ms. Andrews books, there's great wit, southern charm and wonderfully original characters that make it a great summer read. The book is being released this Tuesday, the 23rd. I'd like to thank BookFan Mary for graciously offering me her advanced copy. I'm about a third of the way into it and I'm already loving it. The thing I like about Mary Kay Andrews' books is that they're not all chick-lit fluff. There's always a great story to be told, usually about family or personal retrospect. I've read every one of them and I haven't been disappointed yet. Sometimes you just want to read a book that makes you laugh along the way.

I didn't get as much reading done last week as I'd hoped to. But I did post my review of THE PRUDENT MARINER by Leslie Walker Williams. You can read that review here.

As for the rest of today, I'll be staying inside with my book, munching on some cold, sweet melon my Dad brought over the other day. I hope y'all enjoy this first day of summer with a really good book.

6 comments:

  1. The only Mary Kay Andrews I've read is Savannah Blues, but it was great fun! I'd take a little of your heat and humidity today...we'll be lucky to reach 70!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about Mary Kay Andrews,but we can't get her books in England. I shall endeavour to find some. Boy - it sounds hot there - I do feel for you, I am fair skinned and don't cope well in very hot weather.
    The project you plan to do with your dad sounds really good. good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad sounds like a great guy! I'm expecting The Fixer-Upper and really look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol-I'm staying in today because it's cool outside. Too bad we couldn't send a bit of both to each other and have the perfect balance. Actually we're praying for some rain out here as we are in a drought. I hope to read the Fixer Upper soon. Happy Father's Day to your papa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover of that book, Mary was so kind to send that your way!!! Your dad sounds great and I'm the family historian too!! I just started using my new Family Tree Maker...I backed up my old files but for some reason this new program won't open them!!!! Frustrating, I may have to re-enter all my info!! Anyway.....hope you enjoyed your day reading and eating melon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family historian huh? I have no pictures from my childhood. Isn't that horrible? My parents moved alot and I had sort of a traumatic upbringing so there are no photographic memories to speak of (except the very vivide ones in my mind).

    I think that is why I take so many pictures now. Have fun with that project. Recording history is so important.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!