Aug 14, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Gold Medal Reading

You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:

First: Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?
And,

Second:
Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too … but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
(Or a good sports movie, for that matter.)
I think this is a great question, given the Olympics is happening now! Here's my answers -
Even though I've never read a book about the Olympics, I have read books about sports. Thinking all the way to my high school years, I remember taking a Sports Lit class, but that was so long ago, I couldn't even begin to remember what I read, sadly. Then in 1997, I read Bad As I Wanna Be by former Chicago Bull's player, Dennis Rodman. My friends thought I was crazy, but honestly, I really liked the book. It was an autobiography where he talked frankly about his troubled childhood growing up in the projects and how he survived it. I was impressed with the book and it showed a completely different side to him that you don't ever see. Unfortunatly, his outragous behavior off the court shows a not so great image of what he has become, in my opinion. More recently though, being a huge football fan, I read Do You Love Football? by Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden. It was published in 2004 after his team won the Super Bowl during his first season with the organization. It was an interesting book that chronicled his love of the game and his passion for winning. I've also read books about the late Dale Earnhardt soon after his death in 2001. (I'm a NASCAR fan as well!)
My answer to the second part of this question is obvious. YES, I am a true sports fan. I enjoy watching sports such as football, NASCAR and golf on a regular basis. I'm fortunate that my LB (loving boyfriend) enjoys sports too. Actually he is way more into sports than I am and even played basketball in his college years. (I was married to a man for 13 years who hated sports) This is a refreshing change and something we enjoy doing together. I love watching the Olympics, especially swimming, gymnastics and the track and field events.
My favorite sports movie would have to be Rudy. Some other favorites are Jerry McGuire, Tin Cup and Rememer the Titans.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that someone is reading about sports, since most bloggers aren't sport fans as I'm going down the Booking Through Thursdays comments. :)

    Btw, thank you for the warm welcome you extend to me for Sunday Salon. I was a bit ashamed that I hardly read anything last Sunday since I was going out to two movies with friends. I'll try harder this Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly are the expert--even taking a class in sports lit. I bow to your knowledge!

    Come see what I said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said Rudy too! Man, that movie makes me cry every single time !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!