Aug 28, 2008

BTT: Stories


If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?
Or, um, is it just me?
For me, first and foremost the story has to interest me. The characters also need to be interesting, but mainly its the story. Hopefully if you have a good story, the characters will be interesting as well. I like getting into and learning about the people in the book, to really connect to the story. I like mysteries that leave you wondering. I don't read many 'mainstream' mysteries that are easily figured out. I don't like predictable endings, which is why I stay away from most romance novels. Back when I was younger I read a lot of them but you pretty much knew how they would end. I want to be surprised! I want to get to the last chapter and still be wondering whats going to happen. That, to me, is a good story. I don't get too technical and analytical when reading. I read for enjoyment. I don't like when an author tries to get so technical that you lose sight of the story. The book I just finished was THE SHACK by William P. Young and it was a great story. (I'll have my review soon.) When I've finished a good book, it makes me feel complete and satisfied. That's what I'm looking for when I pick up a book.

6 comments:

  1. Your answer is similar to mine.

    I like the completed feeling I get as I close the cover on a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to have interesting characters too. I think the books I like the most are the ones that leave me unsatisfied and wanting more, as frustrating as that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "wanting more" feeling also when I finish a good book. And I also like to be surprised by a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to read varied genres. A good story does hold interest. However, other books which have good prose do the same for me. I like books with good characters and plotlines.


    Booking through stories

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like mysteries that leave me wondering as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With mysteries, which I don't read much, but Agatha Christie really knows how to work her plot and build the suspense. Every single character seems like a suspect in her mysteries. That's tour-de-force!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!