Aug 24, 2008

The Sunday Salon: After the Storm

Good Morning Saloners! This has been a strange week for me. Tropical Storm Fay finally went on her way after hovering for days. Fortunately, the area that I live in was spared the destruction associated with the storm. It seemed to literally work its way around us. We did get a lot of rain and some wind, but nothing like the Orlando area, which is just to the south of us. I did stay home from work on Friday. Being in the construction industry, it was sure to be a slow day. I rarely take days off or even vacations for that matter, so it was nice to have a day to stay home and do nothing. With all the rain, my yard is beginning to look like a jungle and I have some tree debris to pick up before the mowing can be done. I’m just thankful nothing more serious than a few downed limbs is what I’m left with after Fay. It certainly could have been a lot worse.

The books I ordered from Amazon arrived this week - two whole days earlier than expected much to my delight! Here’s what I got:

THE SHACK by William P. Young
LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel
THE WEDNESDAY SISTERS by Meg Waite Clayton
THE LACE READER by Brunonia Berry
OUT STEALING HORSES by Per Petterson (just released in paperback)

I was especially excited about THE SHACK after reading several intriguing reviews. It’s not your typical book. I don’t read a lot of Christian Fiction, but this story grabbed me and has really made me think. I love books that have the ability to help you see things in different ways. I immediately started reading it the day it arrived. I’m almost finished with it and I’ll have my review soon. If you’ve read THE SHACK please leave me a comment or a link to your review. I’m very interested in your perception of the book.

I also received an audio book of Sarah Addison Allen's novella called IN MY DREAMS. She's the best selling author of GARDEN SPELLS and more recently SUGAR QUEEN. You can watch the trailer for IN MY DREAMS by clicking HERE. There was also an added bonus in the package. An ARC of EGRET COVE by Margaret Nava. Both were sent to me courtesy of BelleBooks out of Smyrna, Georgia. They specialize in publishing southern fiction.

For the rest of today I’m planning on relaxing and finishing my book. I could get used to these three day weekends! What about you? What book are you reading today? Is it a light read or is something you can really sink your teeth into? Does it make you think? Or does it make you laugh? Whatever the type of book you're reading now, I hope you enjoy your Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a great stack of books! I'm taking advantage of Fay rain to read Off Season, Anne Rivers Siddons' latest.

    I've never heard of BelleBooks, but they sound like my kind of publisher...I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read OUT STEALING HORSES, so I'm anxious to hear what you think about it! I've also heard so much buzz about THE SHACK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you were spared the worst of the bad weather! It looks like you have some good books to read. I am reading Persepolis (sp?) which I am enjoying very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well anything labelled as the heresy of modal monarchism( non-trinitarian belief that the Heavenly Father, Resurrected Son and Holy Spirit are different modes or aspects of one God, as perceived by the believer, rather than three distinct persons in God Himself)has to be worth read! My Holiday from Hell and Books from Heaven post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the storm spared you and it sounds like you have some great reading ahead. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! I do dread another year of hurricanes. :( Glad the TS is behind you now.

    Great stack of books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had some strange weather down in Naples since Fay moved out - but luckily no damage. Glad to hear things are clearing up your way too.

    I enjoyed The Wednesday Sisters - I hope you will also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - Enjoy your rainy day! I hope you get a lot of readinjg done.

    Julie - I have been wanting to read Out Stealing Horses for awhile now. Can't wait to get started on it!

    BM - Persepolis sounds like a very interesting book. Glad you're enjoying it.

    John - I typically don't read Christian Fiction, but I'm willing to have an open mind and remember that it is, in fact, fiction.

    Marie - thanks, I'm so thankful it wasn't worse. Can't wait to start on these books!

    J.Kaye - I feel the same way as you. Living in Baton Rouge I know you can relate to how scary they can be. Hopefully we'll both have a mild hurricane season. :)

    RR - Glad you were spared damage from Fay too. I finally got my copy of Wednesday Sisters and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!