Aug 7, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Other Worlds

Todays BTT question is:


Are there any particular worlds in books where you’d like to live?
Or where you certainly would NOT want to live?
What about authors? If you were a character, who would you trust to write your life?

Well, I can answer the second part of this question very easily. I certainly would not want to live in the world of A Thousand Splendid Suns. That would absolutely be terrible to live in fear of the fighting all the time and as a woman to be treated with such abuse and disrespect. On the other hand, I think it would be interesting to live in the times of Lonesome Dove or Gone With the Wind. The only drawback there is no air conditioning or indoor plumbing and that would suck, especially given the long gowns women wore in those times! But I would love the horse and buggy days! As far as locales go, I think I'd like to live in Dorothea Benton Frank's low country near the ocean. Pawley's Island or Sullivan's Island. That would be a great place to live! Very laid back. I know for sure I would not want Stephen King to write my story. It would probably be creepy and scary! However, I would trust Sue Monk Kidd to write my story. I love the way she writes, especially in The Secret Life of Bees.

What about you? What world would you like to be in?

8 comments:

  1. GWTW--oh no, I could never wish to live with slavery, the war between the states, starvation, and inequality going on. I'll stay here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still thinking about my answer to the question, but I agree that I would not want Stephen King to write my story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could go through war and starvation with Scarlett although GWTW seems to be a popular choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to live in old times as well--whether it was the time of Gone with the Wind or Eileen Chang's old Shanghai. I can summarize the places not to be in two words: belligerent and totalitarian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about Dorothea Benton Frank...reading every one of her books has made me almost pick up and move to South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to endure slavery, starvation but it would be an interesting time.

    Jill - I know exactly what you mean!! Her books make me yearn for slow-paced life on thosse beaches.

    Matt - well said!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I agree about A Thousand Splendid Suns. I read that this year and would definitely not want to live in that world! Great pick of Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!