Sep 22, 2008

Five Changes Meme

In catching up on my blog reading this weekend, I came across a meme that was interesting to me. My blog buddies J. Kaye and Beastmomma each posted the Five Changes Meme. The tagging rules do not apply to me as i wasn't tagged by anyone, but I still wanted to participate. So, here is my list of 5 ways blogging has affected me, either postively or negatively.

1. Since the fourth grade, I've always been a reader. Of course there were years in my late teens that reading took a bock seat to other things, but I always went back to my books. Before blogging (BB), I would typically only read a book every couple of months, but since I began blogging, the quantity of books I've read is what has changed the most. I became aware of so many other book bloggers and read their reviews and recommendations and my TBR list was born! Now I'm reading at least 4 books a month!

2. The next biggest change would be in my reading choices. BB I was stuck in the rut of only reading one particular genre. For instance, there was a Danielle Steele phase; later there was a John Grisham phase - you get the picture. I am happy to say that through blogging, I have read some of the most entertaining books that without blogging I wouldn't even know about. For that, I will always be grateful.

3. I've never taken any writing classes, but writing has always interested me. I used to write poetry in my teens and early twenties and dreamed about being a writer. I always wanted to write a short story, but never got around to actually finishing one. Blogging about the books has given me an outlet for that desire. I enjoy writing the reviews as much as I enjoy reading the books themselves. I take my review writing very seriously and really think about what I'm going to say about each book. I try never to give anything away so as to not spoil anything for the ones who haven't read the book yet. And I keep it honest. I think that's what people want and expect from book bloggers. Not to take anything away from the mainstream professional book reviewers, but as non-paid reviewers who do it because they love it, its a more non-biased review. That is sure to bring on a whole other debate, so I'll stop there . . . for now.

4. Another way blogging has changed me is that I've learned so much about the internet and computers in general and all the little things like chiklets and snipets and widgets that I never knew anything about before! I don't know how I survived without my Google Reader BB! I remember when I first learned about it. I dedicated a whole post to it! In other words, blogging has made me smarter!

5. The most important change to me is that since i began blogging my world has grown immensly. As some of you may know from reading my blog regularly, I suffer from an eye disease that is slowly stealing my sight. My life has drastically changed in the last few years and I'm confined to my home a lot of the time. I don't have the freedom to just pick up and go like most people. Not only do my books take me places I can never go, but the blogging world has introduced me to some of the most wonderful people. My first Blogger friend was Lisa at Books On The Brain. When I first saw her site, it blew me away. She has always been so kind to me and I honestly feel she is my friend. And there are many others. Without blogging I would never have met these wonderful, caring people. I don't have to leave my house to have a warm chat with a book buddy or get some laughs from others. Before blogging I didn't have such a positive outlook on my future, but that all changed in January when I found blogging.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your answers and I can certainly relate to numbers one and two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly remember what my life was like without my blogging! Thanks for visiting me, Beastmomma :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!