Aug 16, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Book Brunch


I thought I'd do something a little different today. I want to share a recipe that I made the other day that is perfect for a brunch and since Sundays are great brunch days, this seemed to me the right time to introduce y'all to it. It also fits in well with the book I'm reading this week by Karen Weinreb called THE SUMMER KITCHEN.

This is the story of Nora Banks, a mother of three living in the exclusive neighborhood of Bedford, New York. When her husband is convicted of white collar crimes, Nora and her kids not only face losing everything they have, but also learn that life can be turned upside down in an instant and you learn who your friends are very quickly, especially in Bedford. Nora has always had a passion for baking and after her husband's arrest, she must do whatever it takes to support her family. So she decides to do what she knows and starts her own baking business. Along the way, Nora learns a lot about herself and what is really important in life.

I'm just starting this book, but I can already tell I'm going to like Nora. She isn't like the other Bedford wives. Another reason I like her is that she loves books! You have to appreciate that, right? I look forward to diving into this book later today. After the lull I've had in my reading, I'm happy to report this book is helping me out of it! Yay!

Now on to that recipe I promised you. I actually saw this dish being made on Ellie Krieger's show on The Food Network, but I've changed it up a bit to suit me. That's what I love about cooking - there is no right or wrong way to do it. If you like it, then you did it right! OK, here goes . . .

Cheddar Broccoli Frittata
  • 2 Tsp olive oil
  • Chopped red onion (I used half of a small onion)
  • 3 or 4 eggs depending on the size
  • Splash of milk
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup steamed broccoli
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
I use an 8" stainless skillet but you can adjust this recipe for larger servings too. (I spray my skillet with Olive Oil cooking spray to prevent sticking). Add onions to hot olive oil and saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes. While the onions are cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl, season well with salt and pepper and add a splash of milk for fluffy eggs. Whisk well. Add the steamed broccoli to the skillet and stir. Pour the eggs over the onions and broccoli. The eggs should almost cover the veggies. Let it cook until the eggs are firm around the edge but still a bit liquidy in the center. While that is cooking, turn your broiler on so it can heat up. Once the eggs have almost cooked through, sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil until the center is done and the cheese is completely melted.

I love using my smaller skillet for this recipe because it's perfect for one or two servings AND it fits perfectly in my toaster oven to broil. (Some of you may remember my house was struck by lightening twice last summer and I'm still without a full size oven!) My toaster oven saves the day all the time!

I found this to be such a simple and tasty recipe. I had my own little brunch when I made this and I even splurged and had a glass of chilled Moscato wine with a few peach slices with it! Yum! Like I said, you can adjust the ingredients for more servings. If you'd like to see the original recipe that Ellie Krieger made, click here. The thing about frittatas is that you can make them with so many different ingredients. And it can even be eaten at room temperature! It's the perfect brunch food!

Thanks for stopping by today and for letting me share some food ideas with you. If you try this recipe let me know how you liked it! Now I'm off to read more of THE SUMMER KITCHEN. Enjoy your Sunday!

12 comments:

  1. The book sounds wonderful and so does the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd substitue roasted red peppers and asparagus for the broccoli. Knock on wood, lightning has only blown out our phone and nothing else. Have a good week and enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Ellie Krieger. And the best part - her recipes all works with delicious results which is much more than you can say for some celebrity chefs. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Have not tried this yet. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book on my reading list as well. I am glad that you are enjoying it so far!

    The recipe sounds delicious. Perhaps I can attempt it next week when my hubby is off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, now I'm hungry. After just eating. Thank you so very much.

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fritatta sounds delicious - I'm going to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good friend of mine is going to be sending me this book to read. I'm glad you're liking it because I probably will too. The recipe is awesome-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm copying the recipe. Sounds delicious. My daughter is vegetarian, too, so I'm always on the lookout for recipes sans meat. We just saw the "Julie and Julia" movie last weekend (thoroughly enjoyable). I already like cooking, but it prompted me -- along with millions of others -- to seek out the Julia Child cookbook. It's on the best-seller list! So funny.

    I'm going to put the Nora Banks book on hold at the library. It sounds very interesting -- and her can-do spirit is very evocative of a book I'm looking through know on how to succeed. The author of "Natural Success Principles" says we have everything we need inside of us to succeed. You don't get it without trying, but it's there. It sounds like this woman confronted a situation and rose to the occasion. The author in "Principles" says you have to grow, and you have to embrace responsibility, and take responsibility of your task, as Nora does.

    Off to the online library site...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this book on my wishlist the cover alone is alluring! I look forward to your review.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe,it sounds delicious and I am going to try it. It would make a nice Sunday breakfast served with fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!