May 29, 2016

The Sunday Salon: My Bookish Week

I've really enjoyed getting back into the swing of things last week, both with blogging and reading. The bottom line is, I'm happier when I'm busy. Though the number of comments is down, traffic to the blog is thriving, so I'm happy knowing people are visiting! Has anyone else noticed a drop in comments? (Just wondering)

A Look Back:

Last week was a productive week for me. I posted two reviews.  THE WEEKENDERS , is a new release from Mary Kay Andrews. Then I reviewed an audiobook, THE BLUE by Lucy Clarke. (It came out in paperback last Tuesday). Both of these books are great summer reads from two different genres.

The book I was reading last week is a yet-to-be-released psychological thriller by Lisa Unger called INK AND BONE. I'm a little more than half-way, so I'll be finishing it up this week. This is a new author for me. It's a lot different than what I was expecting. It has paranormal elements that were a surprise for me. I wonder, Do all of her books include paranormal activity? Luckily for me, I like it as long as it's not over the top weird and so far I'm liking this book. INK AND BONE hits shelves June 7th.

I started a new audiobook this week as well. It's another new-to-me writer. THE GOOD GIRL by Mary Kubica is another suspense/thriller involving an abduction. I haven't gotten very far into it yet, (only about an hour or so) but I have liked what I've heard so far.

A Look Ahead:

I've got two reviews planned for this week if all goes well. COMETH THE HOUR by Jeffrey Archer, is book 6 of the Clifton Chronicles series. I've enjoyed it from the beginning and there's only one book left due out early next year.  The audiobook I'll be reviewing is from one of my favorite authors, Karin Slaughter. PRETTY GIRLS is the first stand alone novel I've read from her. I really enjoy her thrillers though I've heard some readers say her stories are too violent. Sometimes they are, and this one was tilting more that way, but it doesn't discourage me from reading them.

The books I plan to start this week are both new books from authors I've read before. Matthew Norman's WE'RE ALL DAMAGED and Ann Leary's THE CHILDREN are two of my most anticipated books. Both of thir previous novels were favorites of mine and I can't wait to get started. I'm not planning a new audiobook for this week. I'll just be finished up Kubica's and then I'll be waiting for END OF WATCH by Stephen King to be released in a few weeks. As you may know, it's the final book in the Bill Hodges Trilogy. It's bittersweet because it's coming to an end. The title alone makes me nervous and in true King fashion, I know it will end with a bang.

Wednesday, I'm excited to be attending a book discussion at the local library here in Amelia. I've never been there and my friend, Kathy is taking me. She's a big reader too! The book being discussed is the amazing ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE.by Anthony Doerr.

I want to thank you for stopping by and wish you all a Happy Memorial Day! I've been invited to a cookout Monday with my second family, the Whitaker/Franco clan. They're a bunch of crazies that I love so much and I know we'll be having a great time! Be safe and enjoy your holiday!


2 comments:

  1. I want to try Mary Kubica at some point, but haven't yet. Maybe this summer sometime. We're going to a picnic tomorrow too with neighbors. Otherwise, just chilling at home. As for comments, I think we all notice a drop in them, but I'm still getting it from "the regulars," for which I'm thankful. I'm glad some still stop by the blog to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!