Dec 29, 2008

Musing Mondays: Recommendations


How often do you recommend books to others, and who do you recommend them to? Do you only recommend books to your “reading friends” or to anyone you think might find the book interesting? What does it take for a book to make it to your ‘recommendation’ list?
My response:
Generally, I only recommend books to my "reading friends", however, there aren't many of them, so I don't get to do it a lot. I do have a few people in my life who do like to read, but they're so busy with kids, family, school etc. that they just don't have as much time to read as I do. But occasionally I do get asked What book is really good? from people who know I read a lot.
In order for me to recommend a book, it has to be one that left a big impression on me or affected me deeply. I would love to recommend books all the time, to everyone, because I believe there is so much to be gained by reading, but not everyone feels the way I do about it. As it is, if I do recommend a book to someone, they know it must really have struck a chord with me since I'm mentioning it to them. They tend to take it more seriously than if I tell them about every book I read.
For more on this subject visit Rebecca at Just One More Page , or click here!

4 comments:

  1. I have a tendency to talk about books all the time, and I give my recommendations rather freely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the prompt!

    I think you should definitely talk with your local paper about doing book reviews. I started reviewing for the public library first, and that lead to my newspaper reviews.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...the book has to really have gotten under my skin in order for me to tell others to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - I do talk about the books I really love to people hoping they'll have an interest in it as well.

    Bobbi - Thanks for the advice!

    BookPsmith - Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!