Feb 28, 2009

Gettin' Toasted: Breakfast Anyone?

Who doesn't love eggs? They're full of protein and there's so many ways to cook them. For example, today I'm making another of chef Eric Ripert's toaster oven dishes featuring the egg and it is so easy and delicious. I've already made this particular recipe several times and each time I change it up a bit. There's just so much you can do with it. When cooking, keep in mind that you don't have to follow a recipe to the exact degree, part of the fun of cooking is changing it and making it your own - the way you like it.

Today's recipe is Zucchini Mint Parmesan Frittata. Let's watch the video:



Zucchini Mint Parmesan Frittata (Serving Size: 1)

2 large eggs
1/2 zucchini, julienned
2 tablespoons Parmesan, freshly grated
3 mint leaves, shredded by hand
1 tablespoon olive oil
fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat toaster oven to 400°.
Place the eggs in a stainless steel bowl and whisk well.
Add the zucchini, Parmesan and mint.
Season with salt and pepper.
Brush the gratin dish with olive oil and pour the egg mixture into the dish.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the eggs are just set, and lightly browned.
Let stand 2-3 minutes and serve warm (can also be served at room temperature).

As I mentioned earlier, there are so many ways to change this recipe. For instance, I don't particularly care for the mint, so I used basil instead. One time I julienned some cooked ham and added it to the egg mixture for an even fuller taste. I will also say that I used cooking spray instead of olive oil to coat my dish, because the eggs still clung to the dish a little when I used olive oil.

I hope that you will try this recipe and love it. It has become a regular in my kitchen. I even made one for dinner one evening, when I added potato instead of zucchini. (I did partially cook the diced potato before adding it to the egg mixture to ensure it cooked all the way in the toaster oven. If you do try this recipe, please come back and let me know how you liked it! I just love to cook and I've really enjoyed sharing this series with everyone. So for now, I'm off to go make breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, another great recipe. I don't think I would like the mint either. Good tip about the olive oil, thanks. The possibilities with this one are endless. Red pepper, onion, chives etc, any of these would make a nice change too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this work in a normal oven?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!