May 9, 2011

[TSS] Bittersweet Mothers Day


Hello and thanks for stopping by today. I realize today is Monday and I'm posting my Sunday Salon post, but this is the first time I've had a chance to sit down at the computer and write in about 3 days. It was a very busy weekend here for me. Not only was it Mothers Day but it was also my sister's birthday. I thought I'd use this post to do an update of the many different things happening in my family right now.

My weekend started off with my friend, Brenda, bringing her teen aged daughter to spend part of the weekend at my house. I wish I could say it was because she loves spending time with me, however, my wi-fi won her heart over. They recently moved and didn't have internet for several days so she very sweetly asked if she could come and hang out at my house. It was nice having her here, even if her nose was stuck in her laptop most of the time.

So Saturday I got up early, walked my 2 miles and by 10:00 I was off to spend the day with my sister and her friend. My sister's birthday was Sunday, so we celebrated Saturday so it wouldn't get lost in the Mothers Day celebration. We started out at the mall where I got a sassy new haircut, then had lunch at a great Cajun seafood restaurant. We ended our day by going to a little pub near my house for some great music and drinks. We hadn't been out together in a long time and it was a lot of fun.

We went to church Sunday morning as a family with my parents at the request of my dad. We got some bad health news about him last week and he is not doing well, so we all spent the day together. The doctors found a new kind of liver cancer last week that is progressing very quickly, thereby giving him about 2-4 months to live. He is so weak and on some really strong pain meds which makes it hard for him to stay focused. We knew it would probably be the last time we all went to church together and so it was a bit of a somber day. He was very brave and did not show any of his pain to his many friends at church, but we could see how hard it was on him. His church family was amazing and you could feel the love coming from them. We tried to make it as uplifting as possible both for him and my mother but we couldn't fight all of the tears. It was a very emotional day and by the time I got home late that afternoon, I felt drained. All in all, we had a nice Mothers Day, but it was unlike any other.

I didn't have a chance to do my Saturday Skinny post with everything going on so I'll just do my update here. With all of the things happening with my dad, I didn't pay a lot of attention to my diet and I didn't work out at all. But I did manage to lose about a half a pound. My total weight loss is now 22.2 pounds in 14 weeks. I'm planning to get back on track this week with both my walking and eating properly and I'll have my regular update next Saturday.

As far as reading goes. I'm almost finished with 2 books, though I haven't read in several days now. I'll be finishing WINTERS BONE by Daniel Woodrell either today or tomorrow and WHEN GOD WAS A RABBIT by Sarah Winman also. I'm still reading THE LITTLE STRANGER but had to put it aside to get the review books done. I plan to get back to it later this week. I know I haven't been posting many book reviews as of late, but my mind has mainly been filled with what my dad is going through and trying to be there for my mom.

Well, that is my wrap-up of what's been going on with me. I'm looking forward to the week ahead to get back into my normal routine. Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope all you mothers out there had a fabulous Mothers Day!

10 comments:

  1. My SIL was diagnosed with the same liver cancer. She was given 2 months as well and that was over 3 weeks ago. She is out of the hospital now but no one is talking about next steps. Avoiding it won't help, but perhaps she's not able to.

    I'll pray for your dad, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your dad. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your father. It's so difficult to see your parents like that. I'll pray for him and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry to hear the news about your dad. I'll keep a good thought that whatever time he has left is as peaceful as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis!! My heart quite literally is breaking for him, your mom, and you and your family.

    I will pray for him!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping you and your famiy in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Lisa. It so nice that you were all able to go to church together on Mother's Day; it clearly meant a lot to your dad. Your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!