Mar 2, 2009

Musing Mondays: Reading Habits


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about boys and reading…


When reading do you read every word? Do you ever skip chapters or skim over parts? (question courtesy of Wendy)

This is an easy one for me! I am definitely not a skimmer. And I NEVER skip whole chapters! The only time I may skim through a paragraph or two is if the book I'm reading is quickly losing my interest and I'm looking for something to grasp. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often. I like to read every word that is written to make sure I'm getting what the author is trying to tell me. I'm not a super-fast reader either. I wouldn't say I'm slow, but I certainly want to appreciate the book I'm reading. Especially if I've been asked to review said book - I want to give it the attention it deserves.

I hope I'm not getting off-topic here, but I'm always amazed at how some readers zip through a book in a day. How do they do that? Would I want to do that? Are they skimming? I bow down to those readers! Me? I read for enjoyment and I don't enjoy speed-reading - it gives me a headache! I like to savor my books. Like many other bloggers, I work forty hours a week, which really cuts into my reading time on weekdays. Therefore, I usually only read three to four books a month and I feel pretty good about that number. But who knows, maybe I am a slow reader.

What are your reading habits? Are you a skimmer?


6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I never skip whole chapters, but I will skim parts if I get bored by something. Usually if it's a paragraph that just gets too descriptive of a place or thing.

    I wonder the same thing about people who can read a book a day. I can't do it. Usually I'm in the 4-5 a month range, but the past two months have been about 10. That's rare for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those who can read a book or even two in a day. Its always something I've done for years and can't tell you how I do it. It really depends upon what else is going on that day if I am am able to finish. But I don't skim or skip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the last Harry Potter book in 5 hours and 35 minutes. I read every word, in fact I went back and re-read two chapters in this same time period.

    Musing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never skip anything but i can sit down and read a whole book in a day without skimming or skipping. In fact I usually get a lot out of it if I read it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only read a book in a day if I do absolutely nothing else and that's impossible in my house. lol. I do skim only in parts that are extremely boring to me-otherwise I read every word. I never skip chapters though. I'd just end up having to go back to make sure I didn't miss anything. I do though start a lot of books at the same time so when I get to doing reviews, there's a few. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't understand how some people can read so fast either....it's a gift! And obviously one that I don't have! lol
    I don't skip or skim either but I'm a slow reader compared to some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!