Nov 23, 2008

The Sunday Salon: Ramblings and a Recipe


Here we are arriving at another Sunday Salon and working our way to the holidays! I can’t believe Thanksgiving is here! Although it is my favorite holiday, it just doesn’t seem possible that the year is almost over.

This week was pretty interesting on the blogs. On Monday I participated in Musing Mondays, which is now being hosted by Rebecca from Just One More Page. If you’d like to participate, click here on Monday morning for the day’s question. Last Monday’s musing was a short book meme. One of the questions was: Do you plan on reading a holiday-themed book this season? Most responders said no. I was a little surprised by that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not rushing out and buying the first holiday book that comes out, but I thought I was more the exception than the rule. What about you? Do you read holiday-themed books?

Booking Through Thursday
posed a very good question about reviewers being honest about books they really didn’t like when asked by an author to review said book. There was quite a bit of discussion on this topic and it was unanimous that reviewers should always be honest, even if they are getting a free book from an author. It all comes down to integrity and being constructive with the criticism if the reviewer didn’t care for the book. I was a little surprised to learn that some bloggers don’t accept review copies at all and that some reviewers choose only to write reviews on books they like. Personally, I write reviews on every book I read, mainly to help keep track of the books I’ve read for my own purpose. Fortunately, there hasn’t been many books that I didn’t like. If you’d like to see some of the comments left on my blog about this topic, click here.

I joined Book Blogs this week. It’s a social networking site where you can meet other bloggers and book lovers and discuss anything bookish! I’ve only had a little time to nose around but from what I can see, it looks like I’m really going to enjoy it. I’ve already found many of my blogging friends! If you’d like to check my page out, feel free to click here. Maybe I’ll see you there!

In non-book news I just have to mention the fantastic hair cut I got yesterday! I had very long hair that was in desperate need of some change. Because my hair is so long and I like to have it highlighted, it cost a fortune so I’m not always able to have it done like I want to. But I couldn’t put it off any longer! I went to the salon yesterday and had 41/2 inches taken off and highlights put back in and I am back to looking like my old self! I was beginning to feel frumpy! I’m so happy now and feel like I lost 10 pounds! (If only that were true!) Just in time for the holidays! Isn’t it great what a pair of scissors and someone who knows how to use them can do for your attitude??
As for the rest of today, I plan on just hanging out at home, finishing OUT STEALING HORSES, which has taken way too long to read and doing some cookie baking. I put some pork chops in the slow cooker for supper later. I found this great recipe on Recipe Zaar that has an Asian twist to it. Check it out:

Slow Cooker Pork Chops
6 boneless pork chops
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp ginger
¼ cup ketchup
2 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper

Just put the pork chops in the slow cooker, mix the remaining ingredients together and pour over the chops. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours. You can thicken the juice with a little corn starch and serve it over rice. How easy is that?

Well, I’m off to clean up my mess in the kitchen, then find my book and start reading. I’ll be checking out the blogs later to see what everyone is up to today. Thanks for visiting!

10 comments:

  1. I love Book Blogs and added you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Out Stealing Horses right now, and it is kind of sluggish, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumo recipe. A good haircut is always good news, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind a book that happens to be set around Christmas, but I don't like books that have that magical thinking of "things will work out just right because it is Christmas".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a delightful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion - I think Book Blogs is going to be great. See you there!

    Trish - Sluggish? Absolutely!!! It's the slowest book I think I've ever read. I'm on the last 50 pages - finally!!!

    Karen - The recipe turned out great! It's a keeper!

    Dani - I agree with you about the Xmas books.

    Beastmomma - yes, I did have a great week and I love my haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my site!

    I know who you are! I've vistited you several times.

    I'm going to add you to my Blog Roll and get you on my RSS feed.

    Those pork chops sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheri - Welcome! I've added your site to my blog roll too! Those pork chops were del-ish! And so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My neighborhood book group read *Out Stealing Horses* this summer, and it never made it out of my TBR stack (well, it made it out ... but it got buried again!). I went to the discussion anyway, and was able to follow along, if not contribute. Maybe I'll attempt it again some day ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post (this one and your BTT one)…after watching all of this unfold, I threw my hat in the ring this week. I love that there’s so much discussion on this…makes for an interesting community.

    http://breakingthespine.blogspot.com/2008/11/sunday-salon-book-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!