Jul 21, 2008

Manic Monday Part II

Since I'm still computerless at home, I'm catching up on everyones Sunday Salon posts this morning here at my office. I know, I should be working, but its 7:30am and no one is here yet so I thought it'd be ok to sneak a little blogging in very quickly. I'm hoping my new computer will arrive by the end of the week so that I can get hooked up and back online by the weekend.




I did get some reading in this weekend, even though I had a lot going on. I'm almost finished reading DRIVING SIDEWAYS by Jess Riley. It's not a real quick read, but it is a great book! I laughed so hard Friday night that I had tears in my eyes! I can't wait to finish it so I can write my review! I finished HOUSE AND HOME by Kathleen McCleary last week. You can read my review here.

I picked up a few new books last week that I'm excited about. One in particular is MUDBOUND by Hillary Jordan. One of my LibraryThing friends recommended this book to me. It won the Bellwether prize in 2006 that is awarded to books of "conscience, social responsibility, and literary merit". It's a story set in 1940's Mississippi about two unlikely friends who come back to the south from the war to be treated very differently. I'm very excited to read this book.

DOWN RIVER by John Hart is another book that arrived last week. It's described as intense. It's the story of a young man who is accused of murder in his home town. He is acquitted and leaves, but he can't shake the stigma that is now attached to him. Things get more complicated after he returns home a few years later and he is once again a suspect in another murder.

I also received THE SUGAR QUEEN by Sarah Addison Allen, who wrote GARDEN SPELLS. I'm a new fan of magical realism so I'm excited to see how she incorprates it into this new story.

Now, if I could get more than five minutes at a time to read, I'd be in good shape! My kitten, Jax, who is now 6 months old, can sense when I pick up a book. I have a chair in my bedroom that I love to read in - it has great lighting, and its comfy. He can be asleep in another room and I will sneak in there, sit down, open my book and instantaneously I hear, 'Meeeooooowww!' It never fails!! Then he jumps in my lap smack-dap on the book and that does it! He's such a cuddler and I don't have the heart to put him down, so I guess I've created a monster!!




2 comments:

  1. 'Sugar Queen' sounds interesting.

    Hope you get your computer soon :)
    Jax sounds very cute!

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Naida, yes Jax is adorable. Once I get back online at home I'll post some current pics of him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I look forward to hearing from you again soon!